[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
NetWoC • View topic - Are RPG's dumbing down?

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

Forum rules

Discuss your favourite video games here on whatever platform.
Please remember the forums are PG13 so in the midst of enthusiastic argument watch your language.

Post subject: Are RPG's dumbing down?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:56 am 

I've not played many so can only compare (de)evolution over the years through: NWN > DA Origins > TES Skyrim.

Seems to me that the complexity of character build and game mechanics is constantly being simplified, and got me wondering why this is.

Developers moving away from licensing the "official" DnD rule set? Reducing the learning curve for the AHAD console generation? I'm imagining it all?

Post subject: Re: Are RPG's dumbing down?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:12 am 

Your sample size is quite small, and I believe you are imagining a lot of it. :) But there's an element of truth there, too.

NWN is our pinnacle, and one this community will always measure against. So there's a losing comparison there already. ;) DA Origins is an excellent game, and in many ways superior to most other competitors. Skyrim, though, while a decent game, is one of the less strong Elder Scrolls games.

Try some of the other new games... Wildstar, STO, Dark Souls II, etc. Different games will focus on different areas of character build and/or interface. There's a rough standard that'll always follow (characters will be "fighter", "rogue", "mage"; interface will be point-and-click with quickslots, etc.)

Making it simpler and lowering the learning curve allows the developer to put more effort into aspects that'll hook their playerbase. With today's move towards pay-per-play and/or microtransactions, they want people to join early and stay a long time. So, they focus on content... quests/missions, items, graphics, multiplayer mode, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:02 am 

Also:

Part 1: http://www.cracked.com/blog/12-video-ga ... ie-part-1/

Part 2 tomorrow. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:34 am 

I have to disagree with you assessment of SKyrim being the weakest of the TES series. The skill trees added a depth of customization to the game that the series just didn't have before, while still maintaining the core mechanic of being able to mix and match as you'd like. Then it took most celebrated trait of the series (modability) and gave it full support. There's a reason why Skyrim is more popular than any of the other TES games; and as someone who played both Morrowind and Oblivion, I much prefer Skyrim.

To the original topic, though, I don't think RPGs are being dumbed down. I think there are just more easy RPGs. THe best example was already stated: Dark Souls. The game that really allows you to wear whatever and use whatever, no restrictions but your stats. There's also Dragon Dogma which allows you to change your class whenever and take earned passive traits and apply them to yourself in any class, allowing you to really tune in on what you want to be. Divinity: Original Sin allows you to completely customize your class from the get go, down to the armor, weapon, skills, and stats.

As far as moving away from the official DnD rulings, this is because the general public doesn't like RNG, which DnD is completely reliant on RNG through it's dice system. People want to have full control over whether they succeed or fail. Losing cuz your RNG'd a 1 instead of a 20 is starting to be seen as a negative aspect for a game to have.