All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Forum rules

If you sing, or play this forum is for you to sit back and chat with others who share your interests. Maybe even convert some others to pick up an instrument or open their mouths.

Post subject: For the Gear Whores
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:43 pm 

I love musical gear. Like, I buy stuff I will never use. Just to have it. I'm constantly rearranging my pedal board. Anyhow, I thought we'd have a thread where we talk about our gear. Here's my setup.

Fender American Standard Stratocaster (Lucille). Bone stock. This is my main axe.

Fender Blacktop Telecaster (Silver Fox). I looked high and low for a modern Tele with humbuckers. This is it. Great gigging axe. I know I said my Strat is my main axe, but this gets played a lot.

Both guitars are strung with Ernie Ball 10s. Because the modern Tele shares a neck profile with the American Strat and I do my own setups swapping between guitars mid set is pretty easy.

Pedals. I swap them out all the time. My current signal path is:

MXR Dyancomp
MXR Distortion +
Boss Blues Driver
ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail Reverb

From their my signal is split through a Rapco AB-100 switcher. One channel goes to my Boss TU-2 Tuner, the other to my amp.

Current amp is a Fender Pro Jr. Usually packed with JJ tubes, but I had a tube failure last rehearsal so it has Sovteks in the pre-amp sockets right now.

Post subject: Re: For the Gear Whores
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:24 am 

Changed out my signal chain. New path is:

MXR 6-band EQ
MXR Distortion +
Boss Blues Driver
ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail Reverb

Where the Dynacomp cuts out the lows and highs, the EQ let's me level everything and then boost the ranges I want. In this case I wanted to boost the mids for leads. So far really digging the effect.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:05 am 

Tube amplifiers fascinate me. I read books about them and I still don't fully understand them. To get a great sound from tubes you really need to drive them. The more voltage hitting them the hotter they get. So a few days ago I added the EQ pedal to my board. Tonight I learned that if the tubes aren't being pushed then boosting the mids sounds really terrible. Translation: more volume=better sound.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:56 am 

Studio work Sunday. Ran my guitar through my standard signal chain and my Pro Jr was mic'd with a Sure SM57 that ran through an Avalon tube preamp and in to the mixing board. Because tubes increase gain I had to lower the gain from my Blues Driver to account for the Avalon.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:36 pm 

OK, my rig for live shows has completely changed. A couple of months ago I asked out lead guitarist if he would sell me the Sovtek amp that he was using as a weight for a cymbal stand, and he told me just to go ahead and take it. When I opened it up I realized that someone had really butchered the wiring. I can do pretty basic wiring, but tapping off a transformer is beyond me, so off the amp went to a local tech here in town.

Well, the amp came back to me yesterday, and it is effin' amazing. With just the master and volume knobs I can run the amp from a clean tone to a heavy rock and roll crunch. There is really no need for any overdrive or distortion pedal. I went looking for a speaker cabinet today and found a used Carvin with British Series speakers in it. It really sounded great paired with the amp, so I brought it home.

The amp has a sound really similar to the old Marshall amps, which is fortunate as that was the amp of choice for a lot of rock acts we cover. I'm really loving this amp. Too bad I can't really crank it up at home, because it is LOUD. Still deciding what pedals will be in front of it. My EQ for boost, reverb, and maybe also my Blues Driver with the gain backed way off.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:28 am 

Once again my gigging rig has changed. Big surprise. :P

My signal chain for pedals is now:

1. D.Allen Bazooka for mild overdrive
2. Wilson Effects Vintage Head for high gain overdrive
3. Lizard Legs Flying Dragon for a volume boost
4. Boss CE-3 chorus to give a little more chime on select songs
5. Electro Harmonix Holy Grail for reverb
6. Boss TU-2 for tuning

Amp of choice is now a 15 watt Orange Jim Root Signature. Lower wattage amps mean I can make more use of natural tube overdrive. I've also dropped from the 4x12 speaker cab to 2x12. Stage volume is now more manageable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:41 pm 

Updated again!

1. Boss TU-2 for tuning (had to move. It was wonky in the effects loop)
2. D.Allen Bazooka now kicking in the higher gain overdrive
2. J.Rockett Archer, for smooth overdrive
3. Lizard Legs Flying Dragon for a volume boost
4. Boss CE-3 chorus to give a little more chime on select songs
5. Electro Harmonix Holy Grail for reverb (this will go bye-bye soon)
6. Cusack TME Delay, for when we kick out Gimme Shelter

Still using the Jim Root signature from Orange as my main gigging amp. When we play outdoors I fire up the Orange TH30. The extra preamp was killing my tuner, so I had to move that to the front of the loop.